Hundreds of truckers headed to Ottawa in 'Freedom Rally' convoy against vaccine

Started by Ronald, Jan 24, 2022, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Hundreds of truckers headed to Ottawa in 'Freedom Rally' convoy against vaccine mandate

Hundreds of truckers set off from British Columbia to Ottawa on Sunday to protest a federal vaccine mandate despite the urging of the country's largest trucking federation to comply.

The protest has been dubbed the "Freedom Rally" against the federal mandate for cross-border truckers, which went into effect on Jan. 15.

Canadian truck drivers now need to be fully vaccinated if they want to avoid a two-week quarantine and pre-arrival molecular test for COVID-19 before crossing into Canada.

The Canadian Trucking Alliance and the American Trucking Associations say up to 26,000 of the 160,000 drivers who make regular trips across the Canada-U.S. border are likely to be sidelined as a result of the vaccine mandate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/freedom-rally-bc-jan-23-1.6324942

Not going to do any dam good, just get the covid-19 vaccinations, and protect yourself and your family.

Bigguy

I think this sucks. The pandemic has been going for over 2 years....why all of a sudden this. These guys/girls spend 16+ hours a day alone in there trucks. They drop there load and head home for another. Keeping our shelves full. Why 2+ years in do they do this. It makes no sense, omicron or not, it still doesn't make sense. I say leave them alone. They aren't doing anyone any harm. If they were gonna do this it shoulda been at the start of the pandemic, not now.

Other countries are opening up...no, not Canada. They are closing down even harder by doing this. Hurting not only the truckers but everyone else along with them. I honestly don't see a point to this. It's just hogwash. It's not gonna do anything but hurt people. Over the course of the pandemic, how many times you heard news stories about truckers giving people covid....none. :wu

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Jan 24, 2022, 10:05 AMI think this sucks. The pandemic has been going for over 2 years....why all of a sudden this. These guys/girls spend 16+ hours a day alone in there trucks. They drop there load and head home for another. Keeping our shelves full. Why 2+ years in do they do this. It makes no sense, omicron or not, it still doesn't make sense. I say leave them alone. They aren't doing anyone any harm. If they were gonna do this it shoulda been at the start of the pandemic, not now.

Other countries are opening up...no, not Canada. They are closing down even harder by doing this. Hurting not only the truckers but everyone else along with them. I honestly don't see a point to this. It's just hogwash. It's not gonna do anything but hurt people. Over the course of the pandemic, how many times you heard news stories about truckers giving people covid....none. :wu

Canada is starting to re open today, we have a long way to go.

Why did these truckers not just get the vaccinations, they sure as hell knew it was part of their employment, again why wait till now when both countries locked the gates to them. (0 %  of the transportation industry are vaccinated, why are they holding out.

You mention other countries opening up, sure they are, and they are in trouble.
The wife and I took off to Michigan Nov.8th. when they unlocked the borders. All the time we were there we were on pins and needles, never knowing when we'd get the covid.
Every business you visited, local bars, local restaurants, cafes, gatherings, you'd find loads of unvaccinated people mingling, all the time people passed the virus on to others.

We were invited to a family Thanksgiving dinner, when we heard some of the family did not believe in the virus or believe in the vaccinations, we refused to attend. A huge family dispute stated, now we are enemies and not related.

We have a Townhouse we own in a senior community, people all around us were getting sick and dieing. One Clubhouse had a euchre card party, one person attending was sick, and never said a word, results were 15 elders became sick and one passed away.

I bought tickets to the annual Christmas Party dinner, we we went there the clubhouse was packed, and not one person wearing a mask, well we turned around and left.
We had to make appointment to get PCR testing's, when we got the results we left America as quick as possible.

We both feel much safer in Canada, at least here we have some guidelines to follow.

Bigguy

Quote from: Ronald on Jan 31, 2022, 04:07 PMWhy did these truckers not just get the vaccinations, they sure as hell knew it was part of their employment, again why wait till now when both countries locked the gates to them.
I think what you are seeing in the people that are not vaccinated is no trust towards the government and the way this was handled. You have to admit it's been a bit of a shit show. Masks work...no they don't...double up....stay 6 feet. They say there is a lock down but there are more people out doing shopping than there would be on a regular day, lol.

Quote from: Ronald on Jan 31, 2022, 04:07 PMyou'd find loads of unvaccinated people mingling, all the time people passed the virus on to others.
But you can still pass the virus and get sick if you've been vaccinated, even with 3 shots.

Sounds like you have been through a lot Ron and that sucks. It's never nice to be in situations were you feel that un easy about being there. We are starting to re-open, which you pointed out and that is a good thing. I hope it continues.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Jan 31, 2022, 05:35 PM
Quote from: Ronald on Jan 31, 2022, 04:07 PMWhy did these truckers not just get the vaccinations, they sure as hell knew it was part of their employment, again why wait till now when both countries locked the gates to them.
I think what you are seeing in the people that are not vaccinated is no trust towards the government and the way this was handled. You have to admit it's been a bit of a shit show. Masks work...no they don't...double up....stay 6 feet. They say there is a lock down but there are more people out doing shopping than there would be on a regular day, lol.

Quote from: Ronald on Jan 31, 2022, 04:07 PMyou'd find loads of unvaccinated people mingling, all the time people passed the virus on to others.
But you can still pass the virus and get sick if you've been vaccinated, even with 3 shots.

Sounds like you have been through a lot Ron and that sucks. It's never nice to be in situations were you feel that un easy about being there. We are starting to re-open, which you pointed out and that is a good thing. I hope it continues.

I still chat on FB with the people from the senior's community, people are still getting sick, America has no control of the virus or it's people.

This is how they work, well not all Americans, a lot follow the guidelines. My daughter in law got the virus, even though she was fully vaccinated, she was out and about, as though nothing wrong.

We both have decided it will be a long time before we head back to our Townhouse in America..

I just read today, where Canada is seriously thinking of relaxing all guidelines of the virus and opening up Canada.

Her we go again, I can see another lock down heading this way. When will people wake up and just get the vaccination and help their fellow neighbour out.

Bigguy

Quote from: Ronald on Jan 31, 2022, 10:16 PMI just read today, where Canada is seriously thinking of relaxing all guidelines of the virus and opening up Canada.
I can't see that. Course, I guess ya never know really but I can't see Trudeau doing that.

Ronald

Bigguy

They had planned on lifting things in stages which is what I think they will still do. If you listen to news reports from months ago, the media and the medical society as well as the government has let it slip a few times about it changing from pandemic to endemic status. I think it is still a danger and should be carefully monitored, but if it is this contagious, than not much is going to stop it I'm afraid. We will or may have to learn to live with it.