Jun 27, 2019, 05:20 am

News:

Please, come on in and check things out. It would be our pleasure :)

Ring around the moon

Started by live627, Dec 22, 2018, 01:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

This pic was taken from the driveway half an hour ago.

[attach name=IMG_20181221_221718.jpg type=image/jpeg]366[/attach]

Seems this phenomenon happens each winter according to my dad, though not quite this bright. Being a house rat, I wouldn't know. In fact, I personally have only seen this for the first time.

Quotehttp://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/46-our-solar-system/the-moon/observing-the-moon/144-what-is-that-ring-or-rainbow-around-the-moon-beginner

Jul 18, 2015 - Halos are caused by the light of the sun or moon passing through a very thin layer of cirruform (ice-crystal) clouds in the upper atmosphere. The ice crystals refract the light of the moon, similar to the way water droplets in the lower atmosphere can refract sunlight to produce a rainbow.

Bigguy

We call it a moon dog. It can also happen with the sun. Supposed to mean either bad or good weather coming I think.

Skhilled

I've seen it before but wasn't into photography back then. I need to keep up more on these things.

live627

Quote from: Bigguy on Dec 22, 2018, 06:45 amSupposed to mean either bad or good weather coming I think
Nahh, just a nice little rainbow that looks like the outer ring of a mushroom cloud. And werewolves.

Bigguy

Steve

Quote from: Bigguy on Dec 22, 2018, 06:45 amWe call it a moon dog. It can also happen with the sun.

'Course, it would be called a sun dog then, eh? :P

I usually have a ring around the moon impression when I get up from the toilet seat ...
We need to start worrying about what kind
of world we're going to leave for Keith Richards.

Skhilled

LOL, I was thinking of something similar but was gonna say I just hope I don't have a ring when I moon someone.