Jan 22, 2019, 02:56 pm

News:

Please, come on in and check things out. It would be our pleasure :)

Ring around the moon

Started by live627, Dec 22, 2018, 01:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

This pic was taken from the driveway half an hour ago.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Seems this phenomenon happens each winter according to my dad, though not quite this bright. Being a house rat, I wouldn't know. In fact, I personally have only seen this for the first time.

Quotehttp://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/46-our-solar-system/the-moon/observing-the-moon/144-what-is-that-ring-or-rainbow-around-the-moon-beginner

Jul 18, 2015 - Halos are caused by the light of the sun or moon passing through a very thin layer of cirruform (ice-crystal) clouds in the upper atmosphere. The ice crystals refract the light of the moon, similar to the way water droplets in the lower atmosphere can refract sunlight to produce a rainbow.

Bigguy

We call it a moon dog. It can also happen with the sun. Supposed to mean either bad or good weather coming I think.

Skhilled

I've seen it before but wasn't into photography back then. I need to keep up more on these things.

live627

Quote from: Bigguy on Dec 22, 2018, 06:45 amSupposed to mean either bad or good weather coming I think
Nahh, just a nice little rainbow that looks like the outer ring of a mushroom cloud. And werewolves.

Bigguy

Steve

Quote from: Bigguy on Dec 22, 2018, 06:45 amWe call it a moon dog. It can also happen with the sun.

'Course, it would be called a sun dog then, eh? :P

I usually have a ring around the moon impression when I get up from the toilet seat ...
If you ever think you'd be brave at gunpoint, just reflect on how
you responded the last time someone aimed a rubber band at you.

Skhilled

LOL, I was thinking of something similar but was gonna say I just hope I don't have a ring when I moon someone.