Dec 11, 2019, 01:59 AM

News:

There are a lot more boards available to members.

Windows 10 version 1809 update "Freezes"

Started by Ronald, Jan 27, 2019, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neša

A USB or DVD should work the same.
Microsoft has to lift its game; they have live kernel patches in Linux. You can apply a security patch on a running live system and be up to date, then reboot it when you can have afforded the 2 - 5 min downtime.

If you don't need windows specific software, Linux might be a good alternative for you.
You can download LiveCDs and try the OS out without installing it.

Ronald

Quote from: Neša on Feb 01, 2019, 05:23 PMA USB or DVD should work the same.
Microsoft has to lift its game; they have live kernel patches in Linux. You can apply a security patch on a running live system and be up to date, then reboot it when you can have afforded the 2 - 5 min downtime.

If you don't need windows specific software, Linux might be a good alternative for you.
You can download LiveCDs and try the OS out without installing it.

I used Linux years ago, is it any better than it use to be..

Trying another install right now..

Neša

I've been using Linux for years I have had no issues, so I can't be sure if it is better for you.
What issues did you use to have with Linux?

Ronald

Probably 20 years since using Linux.

Bigguy

There has been a lot of changes in Linux since then for sure. Nesa would be the one to help you out if you do decide to go that route. Like he said though there are live cd's that you can check things out with before installing.

Neša

I've been using Gentoo since 2006 - 2007 I'm not up to date with the new easy to use distros they jump around a lot.
I can give you some that I know of and you should try them out, either as a booted livecd or in a virtual environment with VirtualBox.

Ubuntu and Fedora have support for other desktop environments, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Fedora calls them splines.

Elementary - to get it for free pick a custom price and put in 0
MX Linux
Linux Mint
Fedora - I use this on my laptop at work
Pop_OS
Ubuntu

LinuxLite - to fix the slow boot on physical hardware you need to disable VirtualBox support. This runs very well on my underpowered laptop

Performance Tips:

- For start up (boot time) - if you have no plans to run VirtualBox, and you want faster boots, you can remove it's supported additions:

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl stop vboxadd-service.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd.service
sudo systemctl disable vboxadd-service.service

Ronald

Finally got her all done.. Done a fresh install using the USB, now windows 10 version 1809 and got a few updates already..

Man lots of extra work after doing this, lost everything, have to start all over..

Bigguy

It sucks when you lose it all. I hate when that happens. At least ya got your rig goin again though. That's what matters. :yes

chen_zhen

Yes, as I said previously it is what I had to do after having Windows updates that just refused to install.
Also just stick with Windows Defender and forget about the 3rd party AV's.

Anytime you do that it wipes everything so next time make sure to copy all your pics, music, etc. to a portable drive or partition prior to reinstalling Windows.