Jun 17, 2019, 01:35 am

News:

Please, come on in and check things out. It would be our pleasure :)

Spring is here

Started by Bigguy, Mar 24, 2019, 08:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

S'possed to get up to 12c here today. Woohoo. The warmest it's been since last fall. :)

Ronald

9:26 and 50F out, Stick your Celsius where the sun dunt shine.

Bigguy

So it's 10c were you are. We are almost there, lol. No sun yet.

Ronald

Quote from: Bigguy on Apr 06, 2019, 09:40 amSo it's 10c were you are. We are almost there, lol. No sun yet.

I never learned any Celsius in school. I went to the old hard knocks school where we learned English

This metric system stinks.

Bigguy

Yeah I know it does. It sucks, lol.

Lesmond

Quote from: Ronald on Apr 06, 2019, 11:54 amThis metric system stinks.

I am just about getting used to it, I still think of liquids in pints though!

Ronald

Quote from: Lesmond on Apr 07, 2019, 05:48 am

I am just about getting used to it, I still think of liquids in pints though!

I was always under the impression you guy's used the metric system all the time..

I never learned it in school, but my three daughters all learned metric.

Lesmond

We still buy milk from the store that's labeled in pints, in pubs and bars we buy beer in pints, gas (petrol) is per liter.

all weight is now in metric here in the UK

landyvlad

Metric is much better than imperial. Any idiot can divide and multiply by 10.
My SMF 2.1 RC1 TEST site:  http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/index.php

chen_zhen

In Canada we use metric for almost everything, or at least on any documents (ie. ID, Doctor documents, speed limits, etc.)
Although the general public still uses imperial for a person's height & weight when spoken.

Also when doing any carpentry I noticed most people still use imperial, although our measuring tapes have both. I only use the mm's when I need something very precise or if I can't position the measuring tape on the imperial side.

If you go to the hardware store, all the screws, wood, etc. is still advertised as imperial.

I suppose Canada uses dual practice concerning imperial & metric.

Bigguy

Apr 16, 2019, 01:40 pm #25 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2019, 01:44 pm by Bigguy
Yup, that's how I do it. I have done a lot of carpentry and I have never heard anyone say: "Go cut me a board 110 mm long" lol. I still say miles when giving directions to people not km's. I don't like metric. I have had to work with mm though when I worked at a place called durisol. I was making "Jerseys" they called'm. 10 foot by 10 foot slabs of concrete for highway dividers. All had to be measured in mm, and precise. :(

landyvlad

So if Spring has sprung there, then Fall has fallen on us here;  except we call it Autumn because you septics are wrong !  :D
My SMF 2.1 RC1 TEST site:  http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/index.php

Bigguy

Yeah but your weather is hot there year round. I could handle fall and winter if it was 30c, lol.