Apr 25, 2019, 08:31 pm

News:

The site is young and always changing, get involved and help shape a community.

Pertinent quotes and saying re poltics and elections

Started by landyvlad, Apr 03, 2019, 10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

Pre-election promises are like wet dreams, great at the time but after you wake up you're stuck with a mess.

Share yours.
My SMF 2.1 RC1 TEST site:  http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/index.php

Bigguy

politicians are like diapers, always on your ass and full of shit. ;)

Quote"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." -Mark Twain

landyvlad

Quote from: Bigguy on Apr 03, 2019, 11:32 pmpoliticians are like diapers, always on your ass and full of shit. ;)

Politcians are like diapers. Full of shit, and need changing regularly.

landyvlad

The problem with political jokes is they get elected. --Henry Cate, VII

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them. --Adlai Stevenson

Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. --Author Unknown

George Washington is the only president who didn't blame the previous administration for his troubles. --Author Unknown

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it. --Mark Twain
( also stated by Emma Goldman as "If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." )

The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. --Joseph Stalin

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. --George Carlin

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them. --Karl Marx

There are always too many Democratic congressmen, too many Republican congressmen, and never enough US congressmen. --Author Unknown

We stand today at a crossroads: One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other leads to total extinction. Let us hope we have the wisdom to make the right choice. --Woody Allen

If you put your politicians up for sale, as the US does ... then someone will buy them -- and it won't be you; you can't afford them. --Juan Cole

Don't buy a single vote more than necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide. --Joseph P. Kennedy

By the time a man gets to be presidential material, he's been bought ten times over. --Gore Vidal

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators. - P.J. O'Rourke

In a society governed passively by free markets and free elections, organized greed always defeats disorganized democracy. --Matt Taibbi

In America, anyone can become president. That's the problem. --George Carlin

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. --Winston Churchill

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. --Isaac Asimov

Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half. --Gore Vidal

A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election. --Bill Vaughan

If pigs could vote, the man with the slop bucket would be elected swineherd every time, no matter how much slaughtering he did on the side. --Orson Scott Card

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman thinks of the next generation. --James Freeman Clarke

"Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters."
― Abraham Lincoln

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
― Theodore Roosevelt

"Politics: the art of using euphemisms, lies, emotionalism and fear-mongering to dupe average people into accepting--or even demanding--their own enslavement."
― Larken Rose

"When widely followed public figures feel free to say anything, without any fact-checking, it becomes impossible for a democracy to think intelligently about big issues."
― Thomas L. Friedman

"Voting is not a right. It is a method used to determine which politician was most able to brainwash you."
― Dennis E. Adonis

"Our freedoms are vanishing. If you do not get active to take a stand now against all that is wrong while we still can, then maybe one of your children may elect to do so in the future, when it will be far more riskier -- and much, much harder."
― Suzy Kassem

"The challenge has always been that "good people" don't know how to win elections"
― Fela Durotoye

"Democracy's fatal flaw: There are more dumb people than smart people. Welcome to the new Dark Ages!"
― Oliver Gaspirtz

"The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are several--one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Bigguy

Those are all good, plus it gave me something to read while having coffee. I have nothing to add right now. You posted alot, lmao. :) :wu

landyvlad

Apr 11, 2019, 09:14 pm #5 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2019, 09:23 pm by landyvlad
"Vimes had once discussed the Ephebian idea of 'democracy' with Carrot, and had been rather interested in the idea that everyone had a vote until he found out that while he, Vimes, would have a vote, there was no way in the rules that anyone could prevent Nobby Nobbs from having one as well. Vimes could see the flaw there straight away."
― Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant

Other Pratchett quotes

'... you can't start with a democracy. You have to work up through stuff like tyranny and monarchy first. That way people are so relieved when they get to democracy that they hang on to it.'

'I thought you told me a dimocracy was where people did what they wanted to do,' she said.
'It's a democracy,' I said. 'And it's fine for people to do what they want to do, provided they do what's right.'

There's no slavery as such, except to tradition, but tradition wields a heavy lash. I mean, maybe democracy isn't perfect, but at least we don't let ourselves be outvoted by the dead.

... when it comes to voting or fishing, sea bass usually wins. 

'I love democracy.  I could listen to it all day.'

'Listen, Peaches, trickery is what humans are all about,' said the voice of Maurice.  'They're so keen on tricking one another all the time that they elect governments to do it for them.'

'In return, however,' said the Patrician, 'I must ask you not to upset Commander Vimes.' He gave a little cough.  'More than necessary.'
'I'm sure we can pull together, sir.'
'Oh, I do hope not, I really do hope not. Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions.' 
He smiled. 'It's the only way to make progress.'

'The right to free speech is an old Ankh-Morpork tradition.'
'Good heavens, is it?'
'Yes, my lord.'
'How did that one survive?'

He knew about concerned citizens.  Wherever they were, they all spoke the same private language, where 'traditional values' meant 'hang someone'. 

'I'm sure no one could call me a despot, your reverence,' said Lord Vetinari severely.
Hughnon Ridcully made a misjudged attempted to lighten the mood.  'Not twice at any rate, ahahah.' 

'You are in favour of the common people?' said Dragon mildly.
'The common people?' said Vimes. 'They're nothing special. They're no different from the rich and powerful except they've got no money or power.  But the law should be there to balance things up a bit.' 

He'd tried to introduce Ephebian democracy to Lancre, giving the vote to everyone, or at least everyone "who be of good report and who be male and hath forty years and owneth a hosue worth more than three and a half goats a year," because there's no sense in being stupid about things and giving the vote to people who were poor or criminal or insane or female, who'd only use it irresponsibly. 

'I like the idea of democracy.  You have to have someone everyone distrusts,' said Brutha. 'That way, everyone's happy.' 

'You can't go around building a better world for people.  Only people can build a better world.  Otherwise it's just a cage.'

Bigguy

Lmao:

Quote'Listen, Peaches, trickery is what humans are all about,' said the voice of Maurice.  'They're so keen on tricking one another all the time that they elect governments to do it for them.'