Aug 14, 2020, 04:36 PM

News:

The site is young and always changing, get involved and help shape a community.

SMF Review

Started by Deaks, Jul 04, 2020, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

Hello!

Thanks for clicking on our showcase topic!

Over the last few weeks you may have seen the logo in my signature, well yesterday we launched officially!! ... woohoooo

What are you?

This is simple SMF Review is a review site for SMF Mods, done in a manner that is fair and supportive.  But what is great we are a community review site!  So when we release our review you get to also review the mod in the same topic!! So if you think our review is not your opinion you can post your own review.  We hope to create a one stop independent review site for all mods of SMF!

Is it free
YES!!!

I see alot of SMF names are you affiliated to SMF
SMF and SimpleMachines are registered trademarks of Simple Machines. SMFReview is not affiliated with nor endorsed by Simple Machines.

Hopefully that is enough for you, we use the limestone theme by idesignsmf that has some small changes to suit our needs, also a recolour to meet our needs.  One thing is we are not a support site so please do not ask for support on SMF Review for any mods.

We are happy to say that for our release we did review one of the most popular SMF Mods, Ad Management Mod, and to celebrate our release one lucky winner will get the Ad Seller Pro mod for free (we buy it for you), all you have to do is join and be active to get a chance to win this AMAZING mod.  This competition will run until the 3rd of August 2020 and the winner announced a few days later.  (we will be checking for duplicate accounts).

So come join us at https://www.smfreview.com/

You can also follow us on:

Twitter and Facebook

landyvlad

I am already registered (as you know) and am impressed with the review format etc.

A few ideas/questions -

Will you only be reviewing mods? Or are there plans to review other things e.g.

- Portals (I guess technically they are a mod)
- SMF versions themselves (eg 2.1.RC3 and 2.1 Final when it comes)
- Theme reviews? And particularly whether they work well or introduce various issues.
    (If so I'd advise only review responsive mods)

Are all going to be in a review format or are you also considering doing head-to-head comparisons?
eg an article like 2.0.x vs 2.1.x  Should I upgrade?   (obviously once final version in the world)

I see on the site it's possible (or will be possible) to submit reviews. What sort of rigour / quality control is in place for this. I mean I could do a review of a mod I use but I have no real technical ability or depth of knowledge.   Or are you simply saying that users of the mod can comment in the discsussion thread?

Independent? Given that SMFHacks has (maybe?) donated a prize, if you are independently reviewing mods with no external influence you should probably make this explicity clear (and vice versa)

Oh and I don't know if you have posted this on the SMFHelper site but I think it'd be a better fit there than here :)

Anyway well done !!!!  A welcome addition to the SMF community.

My SMF 2.1 RC1 TEST site:  http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/index.php

Deaks

Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PMI am already registered (as you know) and am impressed with the review format etc.

A few ideas/questions -

Will you only be reviewing mods? Or are there plans to review other things e.g.

- Portals (I guess technically they are a mod)
Yes we will be doing portals
Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PM- SMF versions themselves (eg 2.1.RC3 and 2.1 Final when it comes)
At this time we are only doing 2.0.17 mods when 2.1 is final we will be doing 2.1 mods, we dont have manpower to do more
Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PM- Theme reviews? And particularly whether they wrk well or introduce various issues.
    (If so I'd advise only review responsive mods)
At this time we are only doing 2.0.17 mods we dont have manpower to do more such as themes
Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PMAre all going to be in a review format or are you also considering doing head-to-head comparisons?
eg an article like 2.0.x vs 2.1.x  Should I upgrade?   (obviously once final version in the world)
At the moment review format however we hope to grow to do more as staff grow
Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PMI see on the site it's possible (or will be possible) to submit reviews. What sort of rigour / quality control is in place for this. I mean I could do a review of a mod I use but I have no real technical ability or depth of knowledge.   Or are you simply saying that users of the mod can comment in the discsussion thread?
All community reviews are moderated and using the template provided will help keep on track (we hope)
Quote from: landyvlad on Jul 07, 2020, 11:58 PMIndependent? Given that SMFHacks has (maybe?) donated a prize, if you are independently reviewing mods with no external influence you should probably make this explicity clear (and vice versa)
They havent donated a prize, we are buying it for the winner.  This is why we have never used wording that they have donated or indicated that it has been given to us from SMFHacks.  The next prize may come from another mod site and we will pay for that.  Ad Seller Pro was chosen as the first review was Ad Management Mod and Ad Seller Pro is in essence the pro version of this mod. :)

landyvlad

Cool thanks for the clarifications !
My SMF 2.1 RC1 TEST site:  http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/index.php