• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 09, 2021, 06:15 AM

News:

Please, come on in and check things out. It would be our pleasure :)

Corrupt cache

Started by Bigguy, Jul 30, 2018, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

Im wondering. Sometimes I come on to the site and when it loads it sort of jumps. Not sure how to explain it. The site for me loads in under .1 sec so loading time is not a problem. The problem is this "Jump" I speak of. After I clear browser cache the site loads real smooth. You can barely see it changing pages. Until cache is cleared it sort of jumps when being reloaded. Is the cache being corrupted or what do you think is going on.... :donow

chen_zhen

Change your cache accelerator.

Are you using SMF file based at the moment?
I use APCu and don't seem to have any problems.
I have read that people like to use a db based cache ie. Sqlite3
You may be required to install various packages on your OS to use different accelerators.

Bigguy

I am using sqlite3, I was using file based but changed it. I could get other accelerators going but like you said I would have to play with the server. there are 2 profiles on the server that are pre-built I can use and they offer different cache systems but I didn't wanna play that much right now, lol.

Skhilled

I'm no guru on this but I'd assume you'd what to use an accelerator that matches the one(s) installed on the server. Setting it to one that is not installed on the server probably wouldn't work well, if at all.

Here's a pretty good article for ya:

https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/developer-corner/php/determining-if-apc-is-installed-on-a-server

Bigguy

Yeah that's not installed. sqlite3 is though and SMF detects it. It's pretty good but I just wonder if that is what makes the page jump for me sometimes.

Skhilled

I'd assume it is the type of caching. I can't ever recall using that one...

chen_zhen

If you want to use APCu simply install it on your OS.
I believe you said you use Centos & have yum installed.

yum install php-pecl-apcu

.. then restart Apache & it should become available.

Bigguy

I will try that when I get home. Hope you guys can help if I screw up the server, lol.

chen_zhen

The only other thing I can think of is that after installing you may need to enable it in php.ini.
I'm not sure atm because I did it months ago.

Here look at this page for php.ini APCu config:
http://php.net/manual/en/apcu.configuration.php

Your installation of Apache or Nginx may use a different php.ini than the command line alters.
For example I believe that Fcgi puts a php.ini for every site you make on your VPS but the command line installation will not alter those files as it only alters the default php.ini.
So you may have to configure each sites php.ini file to enable things you install via the command line.

What control panel are you using?
That probably has a section within it to install/add additional modules.
If you can find Apcu in its list or search option then it will likely adjust all php.ini files for every site you have configured.

Bigguy

I can have a php.ini file in each sites root or go off the master php.ini. I use WHM and cpanel. I found a spot in WHM that says terminal. I would think that yum command can be run from there can it not. ??

Bigguy

I tried that in the terminal window. It came up with a few lines of stuff and at the end it said nothing to do. Mentioned something about Mariadb as well or something.

Bigguy

Aug 02, 2018, 01:31 PM #11 Last Edit: Aug 02, 2018, 01:37 PM by Bigguy
This is what it said:

QuoteLoaded plugins: fastestmirror, universal-hooks
Setting up Install Process
Repository 'mariadb' is missing name in configuration, using id
 Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * EA4: 104.219.172.10 * cpanel-addons-production-feed: 104.219.172.10 * base: mirror.keystealth.org * extras: mirror.hmc.edu * updates: mirror.hmc.edu No package php-pecl-apcu available. Error: Nothing to do

chen_zhen

Aug 02, 2018, 03:29 PM #12 Last Edit: Aug 02, 2018, 03:32 PM by chen_zhen
With the last paragraph in my previous post, I was actually referring to an interface for installing modules from within your control panel that does not involve the command line. I thought this might be an ideal route for you because it will alter all php.ini files in all your sites that you set up via that control panel.

For using the command line it might just alter the default php.ini file & not each site php.ini file..
You may have to alter those php.ini files to add the APCu configuration after installing it using yum.

It sounds like it is not in the repositories you have available.
That just means you need to add additional repositories to gather files from.
I used to have a link for a whole slew of CentOS resources but at the moment I can not find it.
It seems to have been lost when I reformatted my PC & I can not find it easily using Google.

Let me get back to you because the resource website I had in mind is very useful.
I'm fairly sure I gave the link to Skhilled months ago.

chen_zhen

Found it...

https://pkgs.org/download/apcu

You have to learn how to use the resource to get what you want.
You use the search at the top to find a package you want but be brief.
ie. in this case it is: apcu

Then the list shows packages for various PHP versions that are in the rpm file name.
ie. I use PHP 7.2 so the packages I look for start with PHP72
You click on the package you want and it will give instructions.

When you need to install an rpm you use CD to go to a directory path of choice & then use apt-get with the given link. Then follow the instruction for the command to install the rpm and then install the package from the rpm.

Sounds complicated? Not really.. not once you figure it out the first time.

Skhilled

Been meaning to respond to this about installing that but got side-tracked. :P

I have been gathering a list of repositories and have seemed to lost it. Anyhow, I'll go through my bookmarks and gather another list.