Dec 12, 2019, 02:59 PM

News:

Please, come on in and check things out. It would be our pleasure :)

Half staff

Started by Bigguy, Aug 27, 2018, 12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

Correct me if I'm wrong but when someone dies are ya not supposed to fly the flag at half staff ??? Sen. John McCain Just died (R.I.P.) and the white house flies there flag at full. Man, there's some respect for ya.

News

Bigguy

I guess they put it back at half mast but still it shoulda been at half the whole time.

Steve

Quote from: Bigguy on Aug 28, 2018, 12:46 PMit shoulda been at half the whole time

Not so. Precedent set by Eisenhower has it that the flag is lowered for a prominent person but it can only be done by a proclamation from the President. If he doesn't want it lowered, it's not. (This applies to federal agencies and locations. States can do what they want.)
We need to start worrying about what kind
of world we're going to leave for Keith Richards.

Bigguy

I don't think that is right. If this person, or any person for that matter is in the public eye as much as he has been and has done a great deal for the country than he should be recognized for it. The president should not be able to decide who gets recognized or not.

Steve

Who decides then? Congress? He'll be long buried before they ever come to a decision.

I think this should be in the hands of the President but unfortunately, those hands are currently attached to someone who shouldn't be in that position.
We need to start worrying about what kind
of world we're going to leave for Keith Richards.

Bigguy

Well, ok I guess your right. Looking at what I posted earlier I guess someone does have to decide. And your right about Trump as always, lol.